Thursday 1 March 2007

the Disney kids funeral party

While digging through my piles of stats and original art I found this:
At first glance it seems like a birthday party with the Disney kids. But click on the image and look closer. To the right there is written Rest In Peace (RIP) on the glass. Then look at the table.
One of Donalds nephews is scribbling a picture of a kid on the table cloth. To me this all of a sudden looks more like a funeral party for a dead kid. Bizarre, eh?
(Actually it looks like something equally strange that you'd normally find on Craig Yoes "Arf Lovers Blog", which I recommend you visiting.) Now, while I know this was made by Swedish Disney artist Einar Lagerwall (probably in the 70's), the question is: was this ever published, where and why?
Any suggestions at all would make me sleep better tonight, or not...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Han kanske slutade dricka, eh, "saft", för att ett barn var på ingång? :)

Anonymous said...

Einar Lagerwall made lots of illustrations for "Gröngölingarna" books. There is a book with trivia called store spörrebok (in Swedish or in Norvegian[?]). Cover of Finnish edition here: http://www.perunamaa.net/ankistit/tietokisaLagerwall.gif

As you can see, cover is by Lagerwall. I cannot remember if that party-illustration is in this book or in some other one. I don't own this book anymore (I got it when I was 7 years old in 1974).

Cheers
Timo Ronkainen

Joakim Gunnarsson said...

Ah! And I *might* have it in one of my boxes.
I'll check and hopefully this strange drawing might get it's explanation!

Anonymous said...

Just as strange as the funeral party itself is the fact that we've got Eisenberg-style Fiddler and Fifer Pig together with Bradbury-style Practical Pig. And hey, why don't they object to a meal obviously involving huge amounts of sausage?

Joakim Gunnarsson said...

Wasn't in any of my books. I have #1-3 and 5.
So it might be in #4. The search goes on!

Anonymous said...

Jag vill inte förstöra en intressant tolkning, men kan det ha en koppling till "Rip, Rap og Rup"?